Sunday 26 December 2010

The Microwave

My Dad has never had a microwave in his house (he is a technophobic hippy!) and we haven't had one in my mum's house for over 4 years. So when I came down on Christmas morning to find our fruit bowl (often filled with random objects and a lonely fruit) replaced by a microwave, I didn't really know how to feel. There's once in my house at uni, so it's not like I'm scared of them. It just feels weird to have one in the house. When I first got to uni, I hardly ever used it as I was so used to cooking everything in the oven. I've realised how useful they are for some things, like making a jacket potato. But I still think people rely on them too much, I even know a few people who don't own an oven! And they also bring the convenience of the microwave meal, which, although I have had a few and probably will eat a few more, don't really like. I think it's a shame that most children today aren't taught how to cook, or how to use the stove or the oven. If I have children I'd love to raise them without the connivence of the microwave, so that they have to learn how to cook, because I think there is no better feeling than cooking yourself a nice healthy meal!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More