Saturday 26 May 2012

Beer Battered Halloumi

I don't know about other veggies, but sometimes I miss having something deep fried with chips on the side (this may be where the fatty heffa nickname comes from). And after trying the butter milk soaked halloumi at Terre a Terre I wanted to see if I could try it myself with beer batter (mmmm). Of course this is no where near as good as their butter milk soaked recipe, If you've never been you need to try it! But it is super delicious, fairly simple and makes a good replacement for a Friday night take away! 

Serves 2:

65g plain white flour
15g corn flour
100ml vegetarian ale at room temperature
100 ml soda waster
225g halloumi cut in to 4 triangles


  1. Heat vegetable oil in a deep fryer, or a heavy based pan (enough for deep frying) to 180 degrees, or until a bread crumb crisps and turns brown straight away.
  2. Make the batter by putting the flours, soda water and ale in a bowl and whisking until smooth, let rest for 15 minutes, then whisk again for around 30 seconds.
  3. Dust the halloumi with flour then dip in the batter and make sure it's coated really well. 
  4. Pop into the deep fryer or pan and fry until it's a light golden colour. 
  5. Remove from the oil and place on to some kitchen roll to remove the excess oil.
  6. Serve up with some homemade chips and peas (I would have mushy if my boyfriend liked them) and enjoy! 

5 comments:

That looks like perfect pub fish and chips - great looking batter :D Next time, have those mushy peas girl. I bet some homemade tartar sauce would be lovely with it, and a slice of perky lemon. Delicious -looking and inventive idea

Thank you! He decided half way through that he did want mushy peas because it didn't look right (men!). Ooh yes that's such a good idea, next time I will definitely try making some homemade tatar sauce.

I agree it looks like perfect Veggie pub grub. I really like halloumi and deep fried in batter OMG I want to try, sadly my husband is not a fan of halloumi. I would still give this a go someday.

i enjoyed this 3 times in one week :D

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More