Wednesday 22 December 2010

Happy Holidays


A while ago I wanted to make some fudge, so I started looking on the Internet for a good recipe. I've made fudge numerous times, and I’ve always used the same recipe from my Nan’s super old cookbook. After looking on the Internet for ages I realised there were none that were quite like that recipe, so I decided to wait until I could copy it from the book. This book lives at my Dad’s house and is technically mine, and as much as I love it, I don’t trust myself to look after it (I somehow destroy everything I own). So for now I have to wait until I go to my dads and copy all the recipes out. The last time I made it was two years ago as part of Christmas hampers for people, so it felt apt to be making it again this time of year. After copying the recipe (but no instructions) down I happily created some lovely nostalgia with the smell and taste of the perfect fudge recipe. So here it is!
Ingredients:
60g Butter
450g Sugar
1 Small tin of condensed milk
¼ Pint of water
Fudge to me is basically a form of one pot cooking, so chuck all the ingredients in a large heavy based pan and heat gently until the butter and sugar have melted.


Then turn the heat up slightly and most importantly don’t stop mixing! Then you play the waiting game, carry on mixing and heating until the mixture turns deep golden brown. You can tell when it’s done by dropping a bit of the mixture into cold water, if it turns in to soft balls then it’s done. Or if you have a candy thermometer (destroyed mine) then heat it to 240 degrees Fahrenheit.

When you think it’s ready, remove it from the heat and beat well until it is thick and creamy. Apparently the more you beat it the grainier it becomes, because it encourages crystals to form. So beat for longer if you like it grainy, like me! Then pour in to a buttered dish to set.



I also tried my hand at making truffles today, they we’re slightly more successful than the last time I attempted it. As last time I just seemed to make some sort of yoghurt! Any way I used a Waitrose recipe. I’m definitely enjoying having some time off at the moment to make people homemade gifts.
I’m hoping to make some more sweets to accompany the candles I’ve been making! Well, I say making, I just got some old jugs from a charity shop and melted down some cheap candles to pour in them!


Happy Holidays!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More