Saturday 29 September 2012

Candy Cane Popcorn

I am so ridiculously excited about Christmas, it's not even funny! I know it's only September, but Christmas is in full swing for me! We've had Christmas training in my shop this week, which is one of the most magical times of the year. We sit around, in our jammies and Christmas jumpers and unveil the new christmas range. We also tell people to bring food that reminds them of Christmas, I took mulled cider last year (I know that's not technically food, but who doesn't love mulled cider).

So this year I wanted to bring something super christmasy, but a bit different to mince pies and Christmas cake. Then I remembered I'd seen candy cane popcorn on Pinterest (I have a serious addiction to that site). I love popcorn, I had an addiction to popcorn last year similar to the avocado one I went through this year and even asked Mr Hef just to get me a tone of gourmet popcorn kernels last Christmas (which is exactly what I got, I still haven't eaten them all!). So my kitchen assistant Mike made a long due appearance, we donned our floral aprons and based our popcorn on this recipe. I've tweaked it a bit to make it even yummier and easier for my metric brain to understand!

Candy Cane Popcorn

70g popcorn kernels 
200g candy canes
350g white chocolate
  1. Pop your kernels according to the directions and put to one side, then prepare a large greaseproof sheet to put your popcorn on when it's coated.
  2. Stick the candy canes in to a food processor and blitz until you have candy cane dust (this makes the scariest noise ever).
  3. Melt the chocolate in a bain marie, then add 2/3 of the candy cane dust and mix well. 
  4. Put your popcorn in a very large bowl (you need lots of space to mix) then pour the melted chocolate candy cane mixture over to popcorn and stir it really well until its evenly covered. 
  5. Spread the coated popcorn over the greaseproof paper and leave it to cool until completely set. 
  6. If you don't eat it straight away it will keep in an airtight container for about a week. 
We made gingerbread popcorn too! Post to follow soon :) 

1 comments:

I'm so going to make it this Christmas...

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More