Saturday 5 November 2011

Tofu Scramble (vegan breakfast of kings)

Lovely vegan Emma came to stay on Saturday after we went to a sandwich party (yes really) and I'd text her in the week saying I was going to cook her a vegan breakfast that would rock her socks off (well I may have used a different word that sounds a bit like sock, but my nan might be reading this and I don't want to get told off).

You may notice that some evil little mushrooms made it on to my plate,
well I was brave for Emma's sake as she loves them :) 
3 years ago I stayed at my friend Georgies house and she kindly made me scrambled eggs on toast for breakfast. While I was eating them I bit in to something a bit weird and made a face. Georgie then told me a story about how she had cracked an egg in to the pan once and a little dead chick came out. I haven't eaten eggs since. So, I'm more than happy to replace them with scrambled tofu and to be honest I think it tastes better.

Any way this is a food blog and I should be tempting you to eat things, not grossing you out with stories of mank eggs. Emma and I both make scrambled tofu in different ways so I'll post a mixture of our recipes together, but you can really make this your own, add what kind of spices and vegetables you like etc. 

For 2 you'll need:

1 tsp vegan margarine
200g firm tofu, drained
A pinch of turmeric 
A pinch of paprika
A good grinding of roasted garlic and mix herb (fancy herb grinder from ASDA)
Salt and pepper
A handful of spinach
Fried mushrooms and toast to serve
  1. Melt the butter on a low heat in a frying pan.
  2. Crumble the tofu into a bowl and mix in your various spices, then pour in to the pan.
  3. Turn the heat up and give it a good fry so that it starts to brown a little. 
  4. When it done, stir through the spinach and serve up with your mushrooms and toast.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More