Monday 24 October 2011

Squash, Caramelised Onion and Goats Cheese Lasagna

I reckon I've eaten lasagna around 1000 times, so it's a bit mental that I've managed to write 127 posts on here without including it.  


As my first ever lasagna post I felt like this dish had a lot to live up to. I usually go for the classic spinach and ricotta or simple quorn mince, but as I was trying to force my anti-veggie boyfriend to eat this too I thought it would be best to include a few things that he liked as well. Recently he's discovered that he loves the good old caramelised onion and goats cheese combo, so I told him that's what we were having (I accidentally left out the squash part). We both like it (hoorah!), and it make a good change to the ushe.

Mr Hef was trying to ruin my pictures with his beer!
For 4 you'll need:

1 small acorn or butternut squash peeled and chopped (I used acorn just because it looked pretty)
Olive oil
1 red onion sliced
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tsp light brown sugar
1 tin of tomatoes
75 g goats cheese
1 pack of lasagna sheets
Some vegetarian Parmesan (or cheddar if you want) for the top

For the white sauce:

30g butter
30g plain flour
1 pint milk

  1. Preheat your oven to 200 degrees then pop the squash into an oven proof dish, drizzle a bit of olive oil over, season well and pop in to the oven for 20 mins. 
  2. While the squash is baking make the caramelised onion sauce by softening the onions in olive for around 4 mins, then add the sugar and balsamic vinegar and heat for a few more mins. 
  3. Add the tomatoes to the carmelised onions and leave to reduce while you make the white sauce. 
  4. In a separate pan, melt the butter and add the flour, stirring it in to form a paste, then slowly add the milk, whisking as you go, keep whisking until it's thickened then leave on a very low heat.
  5. Remove the squash from the oven and add it to the caramelised onion sauce. 
  6. Then make your lasagna by layering the lasagna sheets (in a lasagna dish), then the white sauce, then the squash and caramelised onions, then crumbled goats cheese and repeat. 
  7. When you get to the top, pour on lots of white sauce and sprinkle the veggie Parmesan over. 
  8. Pop in to the oven for 30-40 minutes/until it's bubbling and the pastas cooked. 
  9. Serve up with garlic bread (of course) and a nice side salad and enjoy! 

1 comments:

Love what you did with these ingredients. Such a delicious alternative to the traditional Lasagna. Thanks for sharing it!

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More