Saturday 14 April 2012

Giant Chili Sweet Potato Skins

We have a new Morrisons in Milton Keynes. You may not think this is exciting, but it really is. There's loads of weird fruits, one of which I was sold by a random man I mistook for my boyfriend. A rambutan, I don't know how I feel about them. Loads of exciting vegetables (with some kind of mist floating over them... magic!) but the thing that makes me most happy about new Morrisons? Gigantic sweet potatoes. I brought two with no idea what to do with them, but then I remembered my dad going on about chili beans in a can so I thought I'd try mixing them together and make giant potato skins. It's a very simple recipe, chili beans, sweet potato, soured cream and cheese but it is really, really delicious. I served mine up with Hugh's polenta chips from River Cottage Veg Every Day and some homemade guacamole.


Serves 2:

1 really large sweet potato
1 small can of mixed beans in chili tomato sauce
100g grated cheddar cheese
2 tbsp soured cream

  1. Pop your sweet potato in the microwave for 6-10 minutes (depending on size) then cook it in a pre heated oven for 30 mins to make it nice and crisp on the outside. 
  2. Remove your potato from the oven and let it cool slightly then slice it down the middle, remove the insides and transfer them to a bowl, leaving the skins intact. 
  3. Mix the beans and sauce in well and then put the potato/chili bean mixture back in to the skins. 
  4. In a separate bowl mix the grated cheese and soured cream together and cover the potato skin. 
  5. Pop back in to the oven for 20 minutes, until the cheese is browned and bubbling then serve up with chips/salad/what ever you want and enjoy! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More