Sunday 29 April 2012

Beer Braised Onion and Goats Cheese Tart

I don't like beer in real life, I'm not one of those girls who can hang out with the 'lads' and down a pint. I remember my Granddad giving me my first sip of beer, it was honestly the worst thing I had ever tasted and to be honest not much has changed since then. However, it changes into something magical in food, especially in beer batter (mmmmmmm). So when I went to the pub the other day and saw a beer braised onion and goats cheese tart I went straight for it, not even reading the rest of the menu. It was deeelicious and since that day I've been wanting to recreate it at home. So today, armed with my new found internet knowledge of which beers go with goats cheese I brought the ingredients and whipped up my own version. I served mine up with fresh green salad and buttery new potatoes, it was the perfect I'm hiding from the rain in my house all day comfort dinner.



For 2 you'll need:

2 tsp butter
1 large white onion sliced
200ml vegetarian wheat beer
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
250g puff pastry
50g goats cheese

  1. Melt the butter in a large heavy based pan, then add the onion and cook on a low heat until translucent.  
  2. Add the beer, salt and sugar and simmer on a medium heat for 10 minutes or until all the beer has been absorbed.
  3. Roll out the pastry, then top with your onions and goats cheese. 
  4. Pop it in to a preheated oven for 20 minutes, serve up and enjoy!

3 comments:

Hello, this looks amazing. I've just found your site via Twitter and look forward to lots more inspiration! x

Sounds and looks lovely, Heather. And I'm with you about beer: only in food unless it's Hoegaarden or a kriek beer (with cherries!).

@The View From The Table thanks! I'm looking forward to reading your lovely blog too :)

@Kellie same here! I do like a fruity beer every now and again haha

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More