Wednesday 22 February 2012

Tofuevos Rancheros Breakfast Burrito

Since the Vegetarian Society launched their breakfast butty competition, I've been trying to think of the perfect entry. After thinking of all the usual sausage sandwiches, veggie bagels etc I decided to go a completely different route and make a vegan version of huevos rancheros and as it's supposed to be a 'butty', I thought there was no better way of making it a portable breakfast than to roll it up in to a burrito. I've always wanted to make huevos rancheros, but my hatred for eggs had stopped me until I realised I could make it with scrambled tofu. I swear to god that tofu scramble is much, much better than egg and I hope that this recipe would make it's sort of 'meaty impostor hang it's heads in shame'. It's full of everything you need for the morning, protein, fresh raw veggies and a mild chili kick to get the day started. I did try to get a picture of it all rolled up, but I was being impatient (because I wanted to eat it) and it came out rubbish so you'll just have to use your imagination! I made homemade salsa and guacamole because it's super easy and tastes lovely and fresh, but you can use store brought as well.


 Makes 2:

For the salsa:
100g chopped tomatoes 
1/4 of a small red onion chopped
A small handful of coriander chopped
A squeeze of lime juice
1/2 a mild chili
  1. Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl until well combined.
  2. Put in the fridge until ready to use.
For the guacamole:
1 avocado
1/4 of a small red onion
A handful of coriander
2 cherry tomatoes
1/2 a squeeze of lime juice
1/2 a mild chili
  1. Pop all the ingredients in to a food processor and blitz until guacafied. 
  2. Put in the fridge until ready to use.

For your Tofuevos Rancheros Breakfast Burrito:
A knob of vegan margarine
150g firm tofu, drained
1/2 tsp of turmeric
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp mixed herbs
1 tsp soy sauce
2 tortilla wraps
Your home made salsa
Your home made guacamole
1 small can of refried beans
  1. Melt the vegan margarine in a sauce pan and crumble the tofu in.
  2. Add the turmeric, paprika, mixed herbs and soy sauce and fry until it starts to brown. 
  3. Gently heat the tortilla wrap in a large frying pan, then transfer to a plate.
  4. Spoon the salsa, guacamole and refried beans on to the wrap then top with the tofu scramble. 
  5. Fold the ends in and roll it up in to a burrito and enjoy! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More