Friday 17 June 2011

My Nan's Piccalilli Recipe

Ever since I can remember my nan's made piccalilli, but up until a few years ago (like with lots of other things) I thought I didn't like it. I've wanted to try and make it since it's become a standard part of my roast dinner, and I've finally got the recipe off my nan (see below). I went to see my nan the other day, and she gave me some tips. One of the things she said was to make it my own as it never comes out the same twice, so this is how I made it.

I used:

1 cauliflower

2 courgettes

1 bag of shallots (200gish)

Salt

Water

1 1/4 pint malt vinegar

1 tbsp mustard powder

1 tbsp turmeric

3 tbsp brown sugar

1 1/2 tsp corn flour


You have to start the day before to salt the vegetables. So chop up your veg into small pieces and place in a large bowl cover with water and salt and mix well, place a bowl over the veg so that it is kept under the water. leave over night.

The next day rinse the vegetables, then pop in a large pan. Cover the veg with the vinegar and simmer for around 10 minutes. In a separate bowl mix the mustard powder, turmeric, sugar and flour then add to the vinegar. Mix well until it becomes a custardy texture. Pop into clean sterilised jars (I put mine in the microwave for a minute, our relationship has moved on since we first got it). Then leave to cool, and cut out circles of baking paper to pop on the top so the lids don't go rusty. And there you have it, some lovely homemade pickle!

WARNING: This stuff seems to stain the sides! My mum isn't very happy because not only are our sides yellow, but I also threw and sponge at her and it burnt through her top!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More