Wednesday 11 January 2012

French Onion Soup

I think I'm in New Years denial, I haven't made any proper resolutions (except to cook, eat and blog more) and I'm still eating like it's christmas. So while I'm reading magazines and blogs that are focusing on salads and low fat meals, I'm still eating chocolate for breakfast and lots of comfort foods for tea (followed by more chocolate). 


So this is my excuse for todays recipe, I have no idea of the calorific content, I'm sure that bread loaded with cheese is not very good for you, but oh well! French onion soup is traditionally made with beef stock, but that doesn't mean us veggies can't enjoy it. I just made a few adjustments to make sure the caramelized onions were still covered in a thick, rich broth. It was just what I needed after a long cold walk with my dog and was the kind of soup you just have to take a nap after (so warm and filling).

A nap is definitely needed
To serve 3-4:

4 medium white onions
40g unsalted butter
1 tbsp plain flour
2 vegetable oxo cubes
2 tsp vegetarian bisto gravy
1 tsp marmite
1.25 litres of boiling water
A small french stick
50g grated vegetarian cheese (cheddar, emmental, or gruyere if you can find it)
  1. Melt the butter in a heavy based pan, then add the sliced onions and sugar and sweat on a low heat for 20 minutes. 
  2. Make up the stock by mixing the oxo cubes, bisto, marmite and water and stirring until combined.
  3. When the onions are nice and brown take it off of the heat and stir in the flour. 
  4. Place the pan back on the heat and slowly add the stock mixing well.
  5. Bring to the boil, still stirring, then reduce the heat, cover and leave to simmer for 30 minutes. 
  6. When there's 10 minutes left of simmering time, slice your french stick in to 4 thick slices and grill on one side.
  7. Flip over and cover with the cheese and grill until lovely and bubbling. 
  8. Serve up the soup and big cheesy croutons and enjoy! 

2 comments:

Can't beat soup in January, & French onion minus the beef - winner!

I am partial to sweet potato & squash soup it has to be said.

Happy Thursday lovely - oh & that lipstick, a side note/warning, it is in part a stain so is invincible, smudge proof & ultimately does not come off but gradually fades after about 6-12 hours!!! xxx

I read a review and it made me a bit scared of it, does it look nice on you? Yeah I love squash soup too :) x

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More